Would you like to know whether your body is optimal, you are overweight or underweight based on your height and weight? Our body mass index (BMI) calculator helps you to find out.
5 things worth knowing about your body mass index (BMI) and the BMI Calculator
1. BMI is the abbreviation for body mass index.
2. In the last couple of decades, BMI was frequently criticized, although this index has been used since the middle of the 19th century. Mathematicians of the Oxford University claim that the formula distorts reality and it is worth using a factor of 1.3 for the calculation. It corrects the fact that the standard BMI index evaluates taller people to be thicker while shorter ones to be thinners.
3. The classic body mass index does not show your body fat percentage.
4. The general formula of BMI index is not applicable to children. In general, the formula gives a plausible result over the age of 20, while it strongly distorts reality under the age of 18.
5. The formula used for the calculation of your body mass index is as follows: BMI index = weight (kg) / height 2 (m)
Body mass index table (metric units, kg and cm) presented by BMI Calculator
|Body mass index (kg/m²)||Weight category|
|< 16||severly underweight|
|16 – 16,99||moderatly underweight|
|17 – 18,49||slightly underweight|
|18,5 – 24,99||normal weight|
|25 – 29,99||overweight|
|30 – 34,99||obese class I|
|35 – 39,99||obese class II|
|≥ 40||obese class III (severe)|
Body mass index table (inch and lbs)
6. Some opinions claim that the waist-to-hip ratio and its evaluation gives a much better picture of our health than BMI index.
7. If your body mass index is high, it is worth calculating your diabetes risk, as well.